Wednesday, February 09, 2005

9/22/04

I performed with the HIV/AIDS group at school, with our new director and Nanosh looking on. Oh yeah, and about 300 students. It was official AIDS day here, and as a result we got off of classes.
The new director was sworn in on Monday and he visited all of the students on Tuesday. By virtue of teaching morning, afternoon and night I got to personally see him speak 3 times, twice in my classroom. He’s progressive, optimistic, soft-spoken and nice. If he had been my director these past two years, I feel like my time here might have been completely different. Also, like the outgoing director, he is a Chemistry teacher. To my old director, that meant that he give a month of classes to two turmas and then stop under the guise of having too many responsibilities. I haven’t talked with Joao (the new guy) yet, but I feel like he won’t do that. The 11th and 12th graders might even have a chemistry teacher next year!
The exam contents came out today, giving everyone a good idea of what the exams are going to be like. I’ve already planned out group projects and lessons in preparation for these exams. It’s nice to have such concrete goals all of a sudden. We’ll see how it goes.
It’s been cold here lately, as a result of a random weather front that came in on Sunday. Luckily, on Saturday I escaped to the beach and had a wonderful time baking in the calm, clear, warm water and the sun’s rays. It’s nice to remind oneself that such things exist and joy can be so cheap. (Specifically, $2 in transportation because I got rides partway.)

Peace,
John