Wednesday, February 09, 2005

9/28/04

6am – I’m up, it’s pretty chilly and already light out. I can tell I slept well, which is good because I need it on a Tuesday.
6:10am – Killed security lights, put water on for bath, took a poop. Watched spiders dance around in bathroom for a while, while avoiding the omnipresent ants.
6:50am – Showered, shaved, fed, brushed, time for my first class in ten minutes.
7:25am – In first class, going well but a little noisy
7:55am – First lesson went well, but COLD!, second under way – really need to take a pee
8:38am – First exam prep done, it’s a lot of info, but they seem like they can do it
9:21am – Loud class at first, but they calmed down. This is because they didn’t have the first two classes. Really, it was the third class in a row I gave today where I was the first teacher who they saw. Really need to take a pee now.
10:33am – Just gave a quiz prep and now I’m about to give it. Empty bladder makes for happy John. Sat with Prof. Joana and calculated that I have 10 more hours of work in school than any other teacher.
11:29am – Good quiz, relatively no cheating. Now it’s off to have some lunch.
12:32pm – Got myself fed again, read an old Newsweek, tried to psych myself up for the afternoon lessons.
1:33pm – Finished 6th class of day, about STDs to my 8th graders. Started feeling slightly tired, but only because the 8th graders don’t really participate. Now I’m waiting to go to the room next to me and be done until tonight.
2:21pm – I came up with a metaphor for being faithful and avoiding STD’s. Let’s say someone pours four pots of water, one of them scolding water. You can choose to put your hand in all of them one time each or put your hand in the same one over and over again, which do you choose? They understood that you should dip your hand in the one, realizing the chances of getting burned are lower whereas in the first case you definitely WILL get burned.
2:38pm – Organized the 11th grade quizzes (52 of them) and am now going home to correct them.
5:42pm – Finished correcting the quiz, had dinner, talked with a couple Zimbabweans who came by, bought a batik from them, not I’m preparing for night class.
6:46pm – Gave a test prep for the night 11th graders and about to give the test. The day kids did quite well, so I’m anticipating a relatively problem-free test. It’s about now that I usually start getting tired, but it’s been improving lately. We’ll see what happens.
8:48pm – The test gave only a couple of problems – at the beginning there was a woman who did not want to sit where I wanted her to and so I told her, if she didn’t, I’d throw her out. I did, and it turned out that she also had a cheat sheet. I’ve been doing busy work here since then, in school. I’ve got another twenty minutes until my last class of the day begins – another 90-minute lesson. Now I’m feeling tired and my back is starting to hurt.
11:06pm – Did the lesson, gave a correction for the previous test and a preparation for the final. Came back, cleaned up, now I’m off to bed … finally. Quite tired, but it’s a good kind of tired.

Peace,
John