Sunday, March 02, 2003

12/11/2002

It's hard today to distill my mix of emotions down to a couple that I can write about. And it's not because today was an emotional day, necessarily, but because all of us are inching closer to having to say goodbye to a lot of people for at least 4 months. And these will be the hardest 4 months of our service, possibly of our lives up to this point.

Mainly, it's facing the fact that we're coming from a ridiculously structured environment and we'll inevitably end up in situations we could have never predicted.

And we all miss people from home.

I took a bunch of pictures the past couple days, and they should turn out really nice. I anticipate having some record of the things I've been talking about. Hopefully, I'll be able to either send them home or scan them in, to share.

Ironically, as I'm getting ready to start classes and settling in, I'm thinking about what I can do in 2 years for my town and what I can accomplish afterwards. It almost seems that my future goals are more clear than my immediate ones, which is scary but then I have a scope for my current goals.

Mainly, I want to maintain my old relationships while creating new ones. Unfortunately, this means sacrificing some of both - which I'm not sure I like just yet. I've got time to think about it.

Peace

John