Sunday, March 02, 2003

12/2/2002

Poetic justice has arrived.

I shouldn't have written something so corny about 3 ducks. I knew it would come back to bite me eventually. I just didn't know it would be so soon.

As I found out last night, there was a robbery Saturday night. A man went to our neighbor's house, knocked on the window to see if it was open, then proceeded to our other neighbor's house. Finding nothing but locked windows, he opened his rice sack and...

Stole the 3 ducks.

I had grown attached to them, saying "hi" every morning, watching them stick together no matter what. As I wrote, it was very nice and heartwarming.

I even tried a somewhat scientific experiment with them. They were all walking through our backyard, just poking along for food. One of them wandered about 5 feet away from the two others. I wanted to see what they would do when they were separated, so I stood between them like this:

Duck John Duck
Duck

I kept moving so I was between them at all times, every time they tried one side or the other. They maintained a steady distance of about 6 or 7 feet from me - I suppose that was their "personal" space. After about a minute of fruitless rendezvousing, they started clucking at each other, in tones I hadn't heard before. It was apparent they were starting to panic, and I had had enough of the experiment. So I walked out from the middle and they cautiously but expeditiously met up and reintroduced themselves. It reaffirmed my faith that this was a strong, loving family.

The damned thief ate them.

At least they were together.

Peace

John