Wednesday, March 26, 2003

2/13/2003

Yikes, I automatically wrote the date (13.2.03) in the European style. It just makes more sense, I suppose.

Tomorrow, Hans Blix makes his report to the UN. It's rumored to be the day that Bush declares war on Iraq. We'll see.

Before my last class today, the youngest kids, another professor was teaching and ran a little bit over time. But I wasn't concerned about that. Rather, while sitting in an adjacent room, I heard sounds of hands slapping flesh followed by screams and raucous laughter. Talking with the other professors in the room, they confirmed and were proud of the beatings going on. The teacher hitting is one of the most highly respected teachers, and this is part of his reputation.

My lesson following his was quietly received - eerily so, considering that it was a group of my youngest kids. But they were scared - and relieved to see me, but didn't have the energy or desire to give me hell.

I had assigned them a TPC that I told them I was going to collect, but because they would just cheat and copy someone else's if they had the time, I told them they only had 2 minutes to hand it in - enough time to get it to me if it was prepared.

Well, some (many) complained at the end of the 2 minutes that it wasn't enough time, and followed me out of school, homework in hand. I idly threatened that I was going to hit them, but that was just to see if they would back off. After I said it, I wondered why the words came out of my mouth. I stopped the crowd, asked for a TPC (which was already being shoved into my face) and I ripped it up, throwing it on the ground. The girl whose homework it was, sprinted in the other direction, afraid I was going to make good on my threat.

Everyone else immediately left me alone.

I really dislike harsh discipline, but sometimes it's necessary. To trash a TPC is tough, because these kids don't have a lot of paper or time - but it got the point across.

Peace

John