Thursday, March 27, 2003

2/17/2003

For the first time, I had three lessons in a row - with my two worst turmas - go off without a hitch. I was practically shocked that the kids were so quiet and respectful, yet participating a fair amount.

Most likely, it's just that it was the first classes on Monday, but it's possible that they're starting to respect me more, that they're getting tired earlier, that my lessons were just tremendously boring, or that another professor (or associate director) said something to them.

Before that, I had some excitement as I went for the fairly banal routine of getting my hair cut. Well, nothing here is truly banal yet, but I was thinking this would be a pretty standard occasion.

I think I mentioned what happened the last time I tried to get a haircut - with the girl and the pop. Well, this time I figured I'd suck it up and go alone, to show I wouldn't be scared off so easily.

Walking into the heart of the 2nd barrio, I feel like I'm in an urban neighborhood in the States. Not because of how it looks, but because of the people. People aren't accustomed to seeing white people - and aren't too accepting of mulungus - as they are in the saturated 1st barrio where I live. So I'll greet people to no response, and when I use Changana I'm received only marginally better.

So I walked around the dug out soccer field to where the barber shop...was. All I see is a pile of mud where there was fairly recently a functional barber shop. Not wanting to look lost and even more of a sore thumb, I continued on to Diamentino's place, where he told me that they'd moved.

What, was the rent too high?

Sorry, but it's just funny. There are a thousand reasons to move a business, and I'm not privy to the ones in this case.

So Diamentino takes me to the "new" place - also a mud hut, but I have to admit, nicer - and I proceed to get a haircut. No more than 10 minutes in, the power goes out.

This, as can be expected, happens quite often. It's inconvenient, however, when you're getting a haircut by electric razor. So I have a half-shorn head, sitting in a dark mud hut with the barber and Diamentino, confirming to passersby that the obvious has indeed happened and we don't have power.

About 30 minutes later, it returned and I got the quickest cut I've ever seen - at the end, he did a little touch-up work because he had been rushing to make sure we didn't get interrupted again.

The day started off well as I got a good E-mail, in a way. It really gave me a good perspective on how independent I need to be here, and more importantly, how strong a person I need to be.

Blake and I have been playing Ultimate quite often now with a bunch of neighborhood kids who are learning incredibly quickly. Unfortunately, they're too young to make for real competitive play, but I think we're doing some sort of service because we're positively occupying some of their free time.

The singing group changed times that they're meeting daily, which pisses me off but isn't completely unexpected. Of course, I shaped my schedule around leaving time to rehearse - but since there were other people who are busy as well, I should be able to make 1/2 of rehearsal every day. We'll see.

Well, I knew I'd be busy in no time, but I need to make sure I'm busy in ways that can eventually help other people. That's probably one of my biggest challenges at this point.

I realized the other day that it's been 6 months since I left Cleveland in a rented car packed full of every last thing, saying goodbye to the people I had grown so close to. I remember it clearly, and though I know everyone else hasn't changed that much, it still feels like it's been years since that moment. Well guys, I'm almost 1/4 of the way through this journey. By the time some of you are out to visit, I'll be 1/2 way through. And then before we know it, we'll be pigging out at Olive Garden, hiding bread sticks and extra pasta in all sorts of fun places.

And as wonderful as all that sounds, there's some hesitation to return to that life - not necessarily to keep living this one, but to try another fresh start somewhere that I can exact social change of some sort and use my language abilities. The more I think about it, the more I like Toronto. I can learn French and Greek...with Portuguese and English, I'll be all set. Yeah. And it gets cold there, too. Woo!

Peace

John