Saturday, March 01, 2003

2/2/2003

It's hot here. All the time. I sweat a lot in the States. I sweat a lot here. I had an hourlong phone conversation and had to towel off the phone. Blake and I sit down to dinner and slide off our seats. White guys aren't made for Africa.

It's not that Africans take it in stride. Mozambicans are always complaining about the heat, but their routines and lifestyles are all wrapped around dealing with it and being smart about the heat. We Americans just don't get it right away.

And in my town, we don't have it bad. There a city up north that's often 10 degrees Centigrade (18 degrees Fahrenheit) warmer than mine. No, I can't imagine that every day.

To be honest, I have adjusted. I never put my arms on paper I'm writing on, or I risk getting it drenched. I go shirtless whenever possible. I haven't used a sheet at night in quite a while. I always wear a baseball hat out in the sun. Lights are on in the house only when necessary. The back door is almost always open. Strenuous exercise is avoided from 9 AM to 4 PM. Water bottle is always near. Towels are necessary for cooking because of the stove.

And when it cools down to a chilly 70-75 degrees F for a day, the long-sleeved shirts come out just for the sake of using them. What was I thinking bringing these? Air conditioning?

Yeah, hot. In response to "How are you?", they say around here "So calor" ("only the heat") meaning that all WOULD be great...

Peace

John