Sunday, March 02, 2003

12/14/2002

We swear in today.

I wonder what all of our lives will be like in two years, when we're all done (or extending) and have the experience behind us? I have the feeling I'm going to be a mix of proud and scared, but excited.

My host mom just woke up, said that I had gotten up early (it's 6 AM on a Saturday) and complained about being tired. I think the family always thinks that they need to be up when I am, but I'm not going to make that generalization for all the host families.

Even on this last morning, I'm still treated as a guest. This is understandable, as I don't act like a normal 24 year old member of a Mozambican household (and I sure as hell don't look like one), but you would think after 10 weeks they'd stop being surprised that I can pour my own bath!

I suppose novelty is something Americans are very used to, and it wears off quickly. Here, however, my presence will always be viewed through differently colored glasses. Unless I manage to integrate seamlessly, but I can't imagine how much of my own identity I would have to sacrifice for that to happen.

We're going to make a promise today to help the people of Mozambique, so whatever hoops I have to jump through, however I'm viewed when I do it, I and everyone else here want to help as much as possible.

I look forward to visiting the other volunteers, the people in B----, my host family, and other volunteers in Africa that I know from my past life.

But it's still all very intimidating, knowing I'm going to be dropped off in a town I've only spent a couple days in, having to rely upon my Portuguese for most everything, and trying to carve a niche out for myself in a town that's seen a few Americans.

I'm ready.

Peace

John